Monday, March 3, 2014

Cloth Diapers 101: Why I chose to cloth diaper

I started researching cloth diapers right after I had my son, but did not receive a many positive responses from friends and family members when I told them about my "bright idea". I gave up the idea until one day I was changing Awesome A and his bottom was covered in little crystals. These crystals were from the diaper and I Googled to find out exactly what kind of substance had made contact with my baby's skin. I found out that disposable diapers contain sodium polyacrylate, a powder that turns into gel-like crystals when it absorbs liquid. Although this chemical is non-toxic it can cause mild to severe skin irritation and can cause mild respiratory problems with sodium polyacrylate is inhaled while in its powder form.
Some disposable diapers also contain dioxin, a toxin that has been linked to various reproductive, developmental and immune system issues.  

After finding out this information I searched for less toxic diaper  solution without transitioning to cloth diapers. That solution was a dye free unbleached diaper. These were not cute diapers and a case of these eco-friendly diapers cost about $44  for a case.  By the end of Awesome A's first year we had spent about $1200 on diapers and wipes. We are very thankful for family members and friends who shipped us diapers.  

When I became pregnant with Bunny I was dead set on cloth diapering. I researched and starting buying cloth diapers for my stash. I have been using cloth diapers for almost a year and I love them. I even use cloth training pants on Awesome A. I love having a cute non-toxic diapering option.`Cloth diapering works for me, but it's not for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment