Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Way I See It: Scandalous Things

I woke up this morning thinking about how the media affects society. I was listening to the radio yesterday and the question was asked if it's okay to cheat/ have an affair if your spouse is a B$%&@. Folks called in justifying cheating on a spouse making Scandal references. I was appalled but not surprised. People root for Olivia Pope even though she is the mistress and in any other situation she would just be seen as a home wrecker and sympathy would be given to the wife. However, viewers overlook the immoral behavior if Olivia because Millie isn't favorable, but adultery is still adultery. Scandal reinforces the idea that it's okay to cheat if your spouse is conniving, mean spirited or a little bit evil. The commandment says "You shall not commit adultery" and there is no list of exceptions in any fine print. Don't get me wrong I love the show and will be tuning in every Thursday, but I spend a great deal of the show wanting to slap some sense into Olivia and kick Fitz in the jewels. I'm happy to see Olivia's dad in the first episode make an attempt to put her on the right track. This show is in need of Jiminy Cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment